Thursday, March 10, 2016

3/10/16 - How it all begins

I've been thinking about the whole organization of the film opening recently and i realize that the work, as a whole, will probably be more effective if we divide the work to ensure that each component coincides perfectly with the other. By doing so, we'll each be able to devote more time to the specific aspect that we have been given to research in depth and hopefully will be able to advance at a faster pace, since over the past few days we have been in a sort of deadlock amongst one another over which genre(s) we want our plot to parallel with. Since we are three different people, with three very different views, perspectives, and ideas, we'll have to dedicate more time and effort to ensure that all three of us feel comfortable and approve of the genre and the plot line that we chose.

Going back to my idea involving the division of work, I feel the need need to explain myself further. In my vision of the, hopefully, near future, once a general plot line/genre is established, I would try to propose the idea that one group member could work on effectively creating and mounting the specific archetypes of our main character(s), another would focus on defining and finding specific locations to shoot, such that it fits the plot, and that the other would work on the cinematographic aspect of it, whether it involves specific shots or compositions to fit the theme of the overall storyline.

Last night I met up with my group to discuss possible plot/genre ideas and, while most ideas had to be cast off to the side due to a myriad of disappointing dead end, we did seem to focus more on genres revolving around crime, mystery, comedy, or thriller. When I realized this while thinking about our discussions last night, I couldn't help but use Kill Bill Vol. I by Quentin Tarantino as an inspiration for such a genre mix. Disclaimer: I will probably refer to Tarantino and Spielberg often as I look up to them, my idols, for they're film choices and styles. Ive been thinking about posting a mini case study of my research later on regarding Tarantino and, especially, how he manages to merge themes, techniques, and personal style to his work. But before commencing this research, I found this highly resourceful TED Talk that gave me inspiration as to how to pool my groups ideas together.

For now, we have concluded that, if we were to work with the crime/mystery/etc. genres, we would envision a male protagonist who has to work his way to recall what happened to him the last twenty four hours as he wakes up, dazed and confused, either on a roof or even in a trunk, who's inspiration came from Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. Hopefully we'll be able to fit the plot with a consistent and coherent goal or motive in completing this film such that we can then move on and work on planning out more concretely our story.


TRUNKOFSHOTS. Digital image. Trunk of Shots. N.p., n.d. Web.



No comments:

Post a Comment